Friday 3 February 2017

Costume Design (Alexander McQueen)


Before speaking to director Terry Hall, I had already designed the medieval-like costume of the Woodland Queen with the help of the actress playing her character. The Woodland Queen's character was loosely based (design wise) off of Morgana in BBC's Merlin being garbed entirely in black with reckless dark hair. Her costume consists of numerous garments collected together to create a rugged, torn and weatherworn look with ragged skirts to emphasise how long she has been out in the wilderness.

During my conversation with Terry Hall, I explained the costume of the the Woodland Queen and was relieved that the design seemed to be approved by Terry Hall. He then recommended that I take a look at the costume design of Alexander McQueen's Savage Beauty collection. The designer commented that he had "always loved the mechanics of nature" and this was definitely a large part of my own inspiration for the clothing of the nymphs and Sienna. McQueen also stated that his collections were inspired by the " ideal of the noble savage living in harmony with the natural world" which links to how the nymphs in my short film are presented as the other and could be interpreted as the savages living in the natural human world. This definitely added to the inspiration for the costume design of the characters in my short-film.


After having looked at the Savage Beauty collection, I decided to focus on what I want the characters to look like in order to design their costumes properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment